Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My husband, Jack, made up this recipe, and it has become a big hit with all of our friends. I think what makes it different from other bean soups is the bottle of beer. He is always requested to bring a large pot of it to Superbowl Sunday and other times, too. If you don't like some of the beans, just substitute with what you do like.
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 3 cans kidney beans, with juice
- 2 cans white beans, drained
- 2 cans pinto beans, drained
- 2 -3 cans of low fat beef broth
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 large onion, cut up
- 2 lbs lean hamburger
- 1 small cabbage
- lots garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer (such as Guinness Extra Stout)
- Fry hamburger and onion, and drain off any grease.
- Add remaining ingredients and let simmer for about 1 hour.
This is very good and because I nearly always have these ingredients on hand, it will be easy for me to make again. Since there's just li'l ol' me eating this, I also cut the recipe in half, using a combo of 3 bean types, 1 can apiece. I didn't have garlic powder, but used chopped garlic and I used a porter beer. yum! Next time I might try adding oregano and/or cumin.
Great tasting soup that is quick & easy to prepare! I halved the recipe using 1/2 can of black bean soup and l can of the rest. For the white beans, I used Great Northern since that was what was in the pantry. I also used Light Busch beer since that is what we had..but used the whole can. My husband ate 2 1/2 big bowls! Thanks for a great recipe!