Prep 6 mins
Cook 1 hr
Jack has his own recipe for homemade apple butter that starts with a trip to Apple Hill, CA.
Make and share this Jack's Apple Butter Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in ovenproof baking dish and brown chicken on one side.
- Turn over and while browning the second side, place sage, thyme, salt and pepper on each piece.
- Spoon one tablespoon apple butter on each, and pour wine over so it is sitting in about 1/4" of wine (drink the rest).
- Cover and bake in oven for about 45-60 minutes.
- Remove chicken, leaving the applesauce and wine.
- Reduce sauce (simmer until thick and creamy).
- Drizzle over chicken, serve over rice or pasta.
Yummy chicken! I used boneless, skinless chicken breast. Loved the combination of spices. My apple butter stayed on top of the chicken which only needed to be baked for about 30 minutes. So I poured off the white wine into a pan, added a few more tablespoons of apple butter and made the sauce like that. It was delicious. Did I mention it was really easy? Thanks for the really tasty recipe!
I had 3 large chicken breasts in the refrigerator that I used for this recipe instead of the 8 chicken pieces. The apple butter I used was sweeter than I had hoped it would be but the sauce still had a great flavor. Instead of rice or noodles I served with mashed potatoes but brown rice would be very nice with this chicken. Would like to try this again using a tarter apple butter and boneless chicken breast. Thank you TraceyMae! Made and reviewed for the Australia/New Zealand Forum's Recipe Swap #24.
Superb combination of flavors. I had some leftover supermarket chicken and realized this would be fabulous for it. Rather than baking it, i put all the sauce ingredients together in a pan and heated them then added the cooked chicken pieces. YUM. I will make this often. The wine cuts the sweetness of the apple butter while letting all the flavors shine.