Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
There are many similar on Zaar but this one is a little different. This was given to Jackie by her sister Lauren.
- 4 -6 chicken cutlets
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups pepperidge farm seasoned stuffing mix
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- Spray pyrex baking dish with cooking oil and place chicken in the dish.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the chicken.
- Mix the soup with the wine and pour over that over the cheese and then top with the stuffing mix.
- Pour the melted butter over the crumbs and bake for 40 minutes (if thin chicken or longer if chicken is thicker) at 350 degrees F.
Wow, what a lovely and ritzy casserole! It was a crowd pleaser! I took the liberty of sauteing (in a dash of olive oil) some fresh finely chopped onion and garlic that I placed on the chicken breasts before I poured the soup mixture over. I also seasoned the breasts well with pepper and Italian seasoning. For the stuffing, I melted the butter in a medium skillet and then tossed the stuffing in that, to distribute the butter well. The result was a super flavor packed dish. There was one diner who felt that it was too rich. I would definitely make it again, but next time I want to make a simple white sauce with the wine, and not used canned soup. Serve with simple sides to counterbalance the richness - I made steamed fresh broccoli and pan seared mushrooms. Delicious!
Maybe I did something wrong, I used stovetop instead of pepperidge farm mix.. and when I took the dish out of the oven.. after 40 min, the stuffing mix was still dry on top I stirred it up and put the chicken on top and tossed in back under the broiler for a few minutes to brown the chicken a little and moisten the stuffing. It was ok..