Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Great soup with LOTS of flavor... One you are sure to like! If you don't want to use the wine, you can substitute the beef broth, and it still comes out great!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 c.)
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry white wine or 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (16 ounce) cans navy beans or 2 (16 ounce) cans lima beans or 2 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed, and drained
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- chopped fresh parsley, if desired (optional)
- crumbled cooked bacon, if desired (optional)
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over med-high heat.
- Cook beef and onion in oil about 15 mins., stirring frequently, until beef is brown.
- Stir in broth, wine, thyme, pepper and bay leaf. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat.
- Cover, and simmer about 45 mins., stirring.
- occasionally, until beef is almost tender.
- Stir in beans, carrots, and celery. Cover and simmer about 30 mins., stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Sprinkle with parsley and bacon.