Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
These cookies are ones that will keep you coming back to the cookie jar! If you love Apple Pie or Apple Crisp these little buggers are a piece of Heaven! Great for cookie trays for the holidays too! Cooking time is per sheet of cookies.
Top Review by FlamingFlipflop
Just made these, very yummy! I also added some cinnamon and nutmeg to the batter which was good. I don't think you need to reserve any of the batter to help put on top of the apple, i find it pointless. Just the chopped nuts work fine. As well I made apple pie filling then blended it rather then the can stuff as my mom says that stuff is nasty. lol
- 1 cup Butter Flavor Crisco or 1 butter-flavor Crisco stick
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 -8 tablespoons water
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375.
- Grease baking sheet with Butter Flavor Crisco.
- Combine Butter Flavor Crisco, brown sugar and vanilla in lg. bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
- Combine oats flour, baking soda and salt. Add alternately with water to creamed mixture stirring with spoon. Mix well after each addition. (Mixture will be crumbly, but will hold together when shaped into a.
- small ball) Add additional water if necessary.
- RESERVE 1 cup of crumb mixture for topping.
- Shape remaining dough into 1" balls. Place 2" apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Flatten to 1/8" thickness with floured bottom of glass. Smooth edges.
- Bake at 375, for 5-7 minutes, or until light brown around edges are firm. Remove from oven.
- Cool on baking sheet about 5 minutes.
- Place 1 measuring teaspoonful of apple filling in center of each cookie. Spread carefully to cover.
- Combine 1 cup reserved crumbs and finely chopped nuts in a small bowl. Toss until mixed.
- Sprinkle over apple filling.
- Return to oven.
- Bake 5 minutes or until topping is light brown.
- Cool 1 minute before removing to cooling rack.