Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This can be used to clean the bath, the basin, the bathroom floor, the tiles around the shower and the gungy ones above the stove, too. It's also great for cleaning toilets - just sprinkle a bit on the porcelain, then use the toilet brush to scrub it on. Pour a gurgle of vinegar in and scrub that around too. It's even good to clean the oven, as long as the oven isn't too disgusting. A slightly warm oven is easiest to clean but should not be too hot to touch. If you use this cleaner, your home should smell great! Requires 1 sprayer or atomiser - those squirty things you use to water indoor plants.
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1 tablespoon good laundry detergent, such as cussons morning fresh (don't bother with any weak cheap stuff)
- 1 teaspoon of your favourite scented essential oil, such as rose or lavender oil (Both are antibacterial and antifungal and smell delicious. But you can also use tea tree oil for a g)
- white vinegar (don't use malt or balsamic vinegar, or you'll end up with some very interesting stains)
- Fill atomizer with vinegar.
- Mix the baking soda, detergent and essential oil together.
- Add a little more detergent if the mixture doesn't stick together- it should look like the crumbs that are formed when you make shortbread.
- Now, take a bit of the lovely scented goo on a sponge, and wipe it on the dirty spot, then spray the spot with vinegar.
- It will bubble as the acid vinegar hits the alkaline bicarb.
- Leave it alone for about five to ten minutes, then scrub it all in a bit and wipe it off.
- You may need a container of water to dampen the sponge with, to get all the bubbly vinegar and bicarb mix away.
The smell of this as you're cleaning makes the job almost enjoyable! I used peppermint and lemon essential oils. Eucalyptus would work well, too and it's a little cheaper if you buy it in the pharmacy. It's fantastic for my stove top because I can't use anything too abrasive on that. I will have to hang on to my comet though, for my VERY old sink.
I use this all the time now! Love it. I put in some Honeysuckle scent.