Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a spicy soup/chowder that even our kids love. Removing the seeds from the chiles lowers the heat, but keeps the flavor. Being a garlic-lovin' family, we usually triple the amount of garlic. This is also really good with either grated parmesan or shredded monterey jack cheese. For some reason, recipezaar doesn't like limes. Use six lime wedges for garnish.
- 2 fresh jalapeno chilies (approx 3-inch)
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen baby peas
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 medium pear shaped roma tomatoes, diced
- lime wedge
- 2⁄3 cup medium-grain white rice
- 1 lb frozen cooked shrimp
- Cut one chile in half lengthwise (carefully remove the seeds for less heat).
- Thinly slice the remaining chile and set it aside.
- In a 6-quart pan, combint the oil, onion, garlic, cumin seed, and 1 or two chile halves (to taste).
- Stir over medium-high heat, then cover for about 5 minutes (until the onion is limp).
- Add the broth and the rice.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, and simmer on low for about 25 to 30 minutes (until the rice is tender).
- Add the tomatoes, peas, and 3/4 of the shrimp.
- Simmer uncovered until hot.
- Fish out and discard the chile halves.
- Ladle the chowder into wide soup bowls.
- Mound remaining shrimp equally in each bowl.
- Garnish with lime and sliced chiles.