Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Jackie's company casserole is a rich, filling, dish that even the kids love. We got the recipe from my mother-in-law's "favorites" recipe file. We're not sure where she got it, but it is a family favorite.
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 16 ounces ground beef
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup scallion, finely chopped (green onions)
- 1 tablespoon green pepper, finely chopped (or celery)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce (or other "hot" sauce)
- 4 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 -2 cup cheddar cheese
- Boil the noodles as directed on the package.
- In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce, water, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and sugar.
- Brown the ground beef in Olive oil and drain.
- Add the tomato sauce mixture to the ground beef.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cream cheese and the remaining ingredients.
- In a greased 9x13" casserole pan (cake pan), spread 1/2 of the noodles.
- Add all of the cream cheese mixture.
- Add the remaining noodles.
- Add the ground beef / tomato sauce mixture.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Top with Cheddar cheese.
This is a very homey and comfort recipe. It's a very rich recipe but if you are making comfort food, you'd expect it to be higher in fat and calories. PS; every calorie is worth it!
This was a bit rich for my taste. I would probably decrease the amount of cream cheese to 6 oz, double the sauce by another cup and add another 1/2 pound of beef. The way its written it comes out sort of like a stroganoff. I would prefer lasagna, just ricotta. The egg noodles would make a good substitute if you don't have lasagna noodles. Temp 350 and cheddar on top not in cream cheese mix.