Recipe by Charlotte J
How about setting this Jack o”lantern Compote down on your fall dining table. This unique dessert would be the topic of conversation as you served it to your guest.
- 1 cup port wine
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dried tart cherry
- 3⁄4 cup dried apricot, snipped into pieces
- 3⁄4 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 2 tart apples, cored,peeled,and chopped
- 1 small pumpkin, seeds removed and lid reserved
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, boil the port and cider vinegar together until reduced by half.
- In a skillet melt the butter and saute the onion until translucent.
- Add the dried fruit, honey, and apples to the skillet and stir to blend.
- Pack the cavity of the pumpkin with this mixture, then pour the port-cider vinegar mixture over the filling.
- Put the lid back on the pumpkin and bake in a 350° oven for 45-60 minutes, or until the compote is bubbling and the pumpkin is tender.
- To serve, spoon out both pumpkin flesh and compote into glass dishes.