Recipe by NELady
From Taste of Home Simple & Delicious October, 2008. I haven't tried this recipe yet, but plan on making this for Halloween pot-luck I'm going to. Description from Bonnie Hawkins of Elkhorn, Wisconsion: "This is so much fun to do - and kids love it! You'll never have to worry about leftovers. It's even good for adult parties... but you might want to increase the heat level with a hotter salsa or seasonings." Author suggests garnishing with cilantro or parsley for a pumpkin stem. I imagine you could make this pie without cutting out the Jack-O-Lantern face on the pie crust and it would be just fine.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 pie pastry, sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 egg
- orange paste food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a small bowl, combine the flour, salsa and chili sauce until blended; stir into skillet. Add the corn, chilies and brown sugar.
- Transfer to a deep-dish 9-in. pie plate. Unroll pastry; place over filling. With a sharp knife, cut out a face to resemble a jack-o'lantern; flute edges. Beat egg and food coloring; brush over pastry.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 9-11 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.