1/5 Photos of Jack in the Box Beef Tacos (Copycat)
24 hrs 15 mins
The Spice Guru's Note:
My reverse-engineered recipe for Jack in the Box Beef Tacos.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 cup ground texturized soy protein (grind in food processor)
- 2 tablespoons defatted soy grits (or soy flour)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon plain chili powder
- 1 tablespoon masa corn flour
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 dash citric acid (natural flavor enhancer)
TACO SHELL (PER SERVING)
- 1 stone-ground corn tortilla
- pure canola oil
REMAINING TACO FILLING (PER SERVING)
- 1PLEASE NOTE: THESE ARE MAKE-AHEAD TACOS. YOU MUST FILL THEN FREEZE TACOS BEFORE FRYING FOR AUTHENTIC RESULTS. PREPARE MY "COPYCAT JACK IN THE BOX TACO SAUCE" RECIPE (RECIPE #423994) BEFORE ASSEMBLING DEEP-FRIED TACOS.
- 2POUR 3 cups cold water into a medium bowl; ADD the remaining SEASONING MIX ingredients (1 cup texturized soy protein, 2 tablespoons defatted soy grits (or soy flour), 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 4 teaspoons dried onion flakes, 1 tablespoon plain chili powder, 1 tablespoon masa corn flour, 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon Accent seasoning, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 dash ground black pepper, 1 dash cayenne pepper, 1 dash citric acid); WHISK mixture well until dry ingredients are thoroughly dissolved; SET aside.
- 3BROWN the ground TACO BEEF in a skillet over medium-high heat while stirring without overcooking (drain ground beef if necessary); POUR the blended SEASONING MIX into the 1 lb browned TACO BEEF in skillet; RAISE heat to high and BOIL mixture for one minute, stirring; REDUCE heat to medium and COOK mixture, stirring occasionally, until very little liquid remains and ground beef is moist yet not soggy.
- 4COVER beef mixture and reduce heat to low; SIMMER for 5-7 minutes to steam and tenderize meat, and for flavors to infuse fully (ADD more water to refresh consistency if needed); TRANSFER filling to a food processor and process until fairly fine in texture: RETURN to skillet on lowest heat to keep warm.
- 5DIVIDE enough needed American cheese slices diagonally; SHRED enough needed iceberg lettuce; HEAT 1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil in a skillet over low heat; TURN corn tortillas one at a time in a skillet on both sides until moistened and pliable (this helps tortillas from tearing); STACK prepared tortillas between paper towels to blot.
- 6SPOON about 1 tablespoon of warm beef filling mixture into each tortilla; FOLD tortilla in half so bottom is curled; PRESS bottom filled half carefully without tearing tortilla using a taco press or makeshift mold ); LEAVE taco tops open by about 1 inch; CAREFULLY arrange filled, formed tacos into Ziploc bags without crowding or touching; ARRANGE sealed tacos in a resealable plastic container, to protect them from breakage; FREEZE overnight or until ready to deep-fry.
- 7SLOWLY preheat deep-fryer with manufacturer's recommended amount of oil to 365°F .
- 8FRY tacos one at a time for 55 - 65 seconds at 365 °F while supporting each taco with a taco press or tongs; PLACE cooked tacos on absorbent paper to drain slightly (I recommend one person frying and one person assembling for better efficiency and fresh, hot tacos!).
- 9TO ASSEMBLE TACOS: OPEN each fried taco carefully; POUR 1 teaspoon prepared Jack in the Box Copycat Taco Sauce (Jack in the Box Taco Sauce (Copycat)); PLACE one cut American cheese triangle into one side; GARNISH with 2 tablespoons shredded iceberg lettuce.
- 10ENJOY your Jack in the Box Tacos and say, "EAT YOUR HEART OUT, JACK!".
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jack in the Box Beef Tacos (Copycat)
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 149.6
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 39.1 mg
- Sodium 690.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 11.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: