Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another Jack Fry's special!! Crab and lobster together.....pan FRIED in butter!! What can be better?
CRAB LOBSTER CAKES
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra fine cracker meal
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 lb fresh lump crabmeat
- 5 ounces cooked lobster meat (1 rock lobster tail will give you about that amount)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
CREAMY DIJON SAUCE
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- To make the cakes: In a large bowl, blend the egg whites, mayonnaise, Old Bay seasoning, cayenne, cracker meal and lemon juice.
- Fold in the crab meat and the lobster meat.
- Divide into 10 portions and flatten gently to form a cake.
- Coat each cake in the breadcrumbs.
- Pan sear the cakes in the butter for 2-3 min on each side.
- Do this in batches and drain on paper towels to get rid of any excess grease. If more butter is needed, add more.
- To make the sauce: Combine the shallot, wine and broth in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and reduce by half.
- Add the heavy cream and reduce by a third.
- Whisk in the mustard.
- To serve: Pool the sauce on a warm plate.
- Place 2 crab cakes on top. Garnish with lemon slice if desired.
This is - or was - one of my favorite appetizers at Jack Fry's, and I used to order it nearly every time we ate there. The flavor of the cakes is nothing less than mouth-watering, and the sauce is perfect. Unfortunately they're not on the menu anymore, and even their long-time servers are puzzled by that... they were a favorite for a lot of people. Regardless, the recipe is priceless - thank you! I'd just add, if you like crab cakes in general, as I do, then there's a very good chance you will absolutely love these.