Recipe by Mustang Sally 54269
I was looking for a more savory than sweet recipe to prepare my x-mas ham. I found this on another web site. I didn't need to change anything but if I don't have Jack Daniel's I will sub Southern Comfort with good results. You could also add whole cloves to the outside of the ham to intensify the flavour. I normally don't bother with the orange slices & endive but it would be a great way to decorate the ham for serving.
- 6 -8 lbs boneless ham
- 10 -15 whole cloves (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄3 cup Jack Daniels Whiskey
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- orange slice, thinly sliced, for garnish
- curly endive lettuce, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- On a rack in a roasting pan, roast ham, uncovered, for 20 mins per lb, or until a meat thermometer reads 140°F
- Before ham is done, in a small saucepan, mix together the brown sugar, Jack Daniel's whiskey, orange peel, cloves & allspice. Simmer, over medium-low heat, for 15 mins, or until slightly thickened. Brush the glaze over the ham 20 mins before it is done.
- Serve the ham garnished with orange slices & endive, if desired.