Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
In 'Frank Stitt's Southern Table'; ice cream with a kick
Top Review by Tamara L.
This is actually a really great recipe and I enjoyed it. I added mini peanut butter cups to mine because I like candy chunks in my ice cream. Basically just wait until the mix starts thickening up a bit in the ice cream machine, then add your candy of choice if you wish to do so. Again, lovely recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 lb good-quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup Jack Daniels Whiskey
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stainless steel or enameled saucepan, heat the milk until bubbles rise around the edge of the pan.
- Remove from the heat, add vanilla, cover, and let steep for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate with the whiskey in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally; remove from heat and set aside.
- In a big bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until thoroughly combined; gradually whisk in the warm milk.
- Pour this mixture back into the saucepan and heat, stirring constantly, until just slightly thickened; the temperature should be 170° on an instant-read thermometer.
- Strain the custard through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean bowl and let cool.
- Stir the melted chocolate mixture and cream mixture into the custard; cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Freeze the ice cream in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions; transfer to a freezer container and freeze for an hour or two to firm before serving.