Recipe by TexasKelly
I got this off another website, but changed it a little. My husband loved it, and said it tasted a bit like a quiche. I liked it, but next time I will add some sauteed onions and some crumbled bacon.
- 3⁄4 cup dry milk
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F Grease 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Combine dry milk and corn meal in large saucepan.
- Stir in water.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil, thickens, and the whole mixture turns yellow.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, egg yolks, margarine and baking powder.
- Beategg whites in small mixer bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into corn meal mixture gently.
- Pour into prepared dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and if desired, sprinkle 1 tsp seasoned salt and 1 tsp dried chives over the whole thing.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until top is golden and filling is set.
- Serve warm (although I have snacked on it right from the fridge).
- If you are warming it up as a leftover, heating it in the microwave makes it soggy.
- It tastes best if while you are cooking your dinner, you heat the oven to about 250, and leave it in there until you are done preparing everything else.