1/2 Photos of Jachtschotel (Meat and potato casserole)
This is an old Dutch recipe. Options have been noted for making it lighter in fat and calories. The flavor doesn't change much when making it lower fat. Nutmeg is very common in Dutch cooking. It's used to flavor vegetables and meats. You might use it lightly until you are used to the taste in this type of dish. We love it. Maggi aroma (dark liquid in a small bottle)is found in the ethnic foods isle in my supermarket. It could also be found near the gravy seasonings or condiments. If you can't find it at all, try a little soy sauce or Worcestershire, although the taste will be somewhat different.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For potato puree
- 2 lbs cooked potatoes
- 2 cups milk or 2 cups beef broth
- 4 tablespoons butter (optional)
- corn flake crumbs or breadcrumbs
- 1Mash the potatoes, milk, butter and nutmeg.
- 2Set aside.
- 3Saute onion in butter or broth until tender.
- 4Add the left over beef and broth with seasonings.
- 5Simmer gently until the meat is tender and well seasoned- about 20 minutes (you may need to add broth to keep it moist).
- 6Remove bay leaf.
- 7Butter a small casserole dish.
- 8Place 1/3 of potato puree in bottom of casserole.
- 9Top with 1/2 of beef/onion mixture.
- 10Layer 1/3 of potato puree on top of beef and top that with rest of beef mixture.
- 11Finally smooth the remaining puree on top.
- 12Coat with corn flake crumbs (or bread crumbs) and a few pats of butter and broil for 10- 15 minutes until brown.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jachtschotel (Meat and potato casserole)
Serving Size: 1 (547 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 486.6
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 97.0 mg
- Sodium 276.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 28.1 g