Sandi (From CA)'s Note:
Crunchy jicama and apple plus oranges and avocado combine in this crisp and refreshing dairy-free slaw. Jicama is a round root vegetable with thin brown skin and white crunchy flesh. It has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor and can be found in the produce section from November to May. (High Fiber, Low Cholesterol, Low Sodium, High Potassium) Recipe courtesy Arcamax.
My Private Note
1-cup s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro, plus leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, plus leaves for garnish
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb jicama
- 1 tart green apple, cored (not peeled)
- 2 navel oranges
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1Place 1/3 cup cilantro, 2 tablespoons mint, jalapeño to taste, sugar, salt, cumin and lime juice in a food processor. Process until finely chopped, about 30 seconds, stopping once to scrape down the sides.
- 2With the motor running, add oil through the feed tube in a slow, steady stream until the dressing is well combined. Transfer the dressing to a large bowl. Do not clean the processor, but change to the shredding disk.
- 3Using a small, sharp knife, carefully peel jicama, making sure to remove both the papery brown skin and the layer of fibrous flesh just underneath.
- 4Cut the jicama and apple into pieces that will fit comfortably through your processor’s feed tube. Shred the jicama and apple in the processor. Add to the bowl with the dressing.
- 5Using a sharp knife, remove the peel and pith from the orange. Working over the bowl with the slaw (to catch any juice), cut the orange segments from the surrounding membranes, letting them drop into the bowl. Squeeze any remaining juice into the slaw. (Discard membranes and peel.).
- 6Add avocados; gently toss to combine.
- 7Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro and mint leaves.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jícama-Apple Slaw
Serving Size: 1 (1480 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.9
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 300.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 2.5 g