Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
Crunchy jicama and apple plus oranges and avocado combine in this crisp and refreshing dairy-free slaw. Jicama is a round root vegetable with thin brown skin and white crunchy flesh. It has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor and can be found in the produce section from November to May. (High Fiber, Low Cholesterol, Low Sodium, High Potassium) Recipe courtesy Arcamax.
- 1⁄3 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro, plus leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint, plus leaves for garnish
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb jicama
- 1 tart green apple, cored (not peeled)
- 2 navel oranges
- 2 avocados, diced
- Place 1/3 cup cilantro, 2 tablespoons mint, jalapeño to taste, sugar, salt, cumin and lime juice in a food processor. Process until finely chopped, about 30 seconds, stopping once to scrape down the sides.
- With the motor running, add oil through the feed tube in a slow, steady stream until the dressing is well combined. Transfer the dressing to a large bowl. Do not clean the processor, but change to the shredding disk.
- Using a small, sharp knife, carefully peel jicama, making sure to remove both the papery brown skin and the layer of fibrous flesh just underneath.
- Cut the jicama and apple into pieces that will fit comfortably through your processor’s feed tube. Shred the jicama and apple in the processor. Add to the bowl with the dressing.
- Using a sharp knife, remove the peel and pith from the orange. Working over the bowl with the slaw (to catch any juice), cut the orange segments from the surrounding membranes, letting them drop into the bowl. Squeeze any remaining juice into the slaw. (Discard membranes and peel.).
- Add avocados; gently toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro and mint leaves.
I made half a batch of this, but otherwise followed directions. It was really good! Such an interesting and tasty combination of flavors and textures! Thank you! Reviewed for Healthy Choices ABC tag game.
I am rating this 5 stars because we loved the taste and the health benefits of this recipe. I did cut it in half as there are only two of us and the full recipe would have gone to waste. I used my food processor as instructed which did make the prep much easier than manually shredding the jicama and apple. However, this is not a "quick" recipe and would be difficult to prepare on a busy week night. I did make it earlier in the day up to the avocado and then added that right before serving. The only change I made was to use mandarine oranges in light syrup and eliminated the sugar. Making it a little earlier helped all the flavors to blend together. I will definitely make this one again.