Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my dad's chili recipe. It is a favorite among my family members. I have even made it for friends of mine who don't care for chili, and they loved it. For those of you who prefer a more spicy version, feel free to add peppers or seasonings of your choice. Dad started using the Mexican style stewed tomatoes because they already have added peppers and spices that really taste good and give it an extra kick. Enjoy !
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 (30 ounce) canshunts chili beans
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, cut stewed tomatoes into smaller pieces if desired
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet chili seasoning mix (Lawreys, Shilling, or Frenches)
- 1 cup water
- Brown beef in skillet.
- Add onion.
- Stir in chili seasoning according to directions.
- Add tomato sauce.
- While meat mixture is simmering, put chili beans, and stewed tomatoes in dutch oven. Warm over med heat.
- Combine meat mixture with chili bean mixture in dutch oven. Add 1 cup water.
- Cook over medium heat until you see it bubbling, then turn heat down to low and simmer about 30 minutes.
- Serve with shredded cheese and Waverly wafers if desired.