Recipe by Polly W
Another great recipes from Jeff's culinary classes that I took ! I make this alot and I love it because I can make it the day before and it last for days after making it,if there is any left.I use dried cranberries instead of the raisins, but thats the great thing about this recipe, you can change it to what ever you prefer.
Top Review by magpie diner
Thanks for this, it was great. I used nayonaise instead of regular mayo. Because of the 'nayo' flavour, I had to add a little extra vinegar and some salt and garlic. I also left out the cheese. Worked out really well - who knew you could dress a salad so far ahead of time...quick toss before serving. And I didn't expect it to be so popular at the table tonight! Thx again
- 1 bunch chopped romaine lettuce, pre-washed and patted dry
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed, uncooked
- 16 ounces sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced tossed in 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 12 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and chopped
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix 2 cups mayo, 1/4 sugar and 1 tbls white vinegar together and let stand while preparing salad.
- In large rectangular dish, layer salad ingredients in the order listed stopping after the nuts.
- Spread salad dressing over the top of salad covering it completely.
- Sprinkle cheese, green onions and bacon over the salad.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or over night.