Recipe by Polly W
Another recipe from Jeff Baldwin's culinary class ! Very good and can be made the day before. Worth the effort !!!
Top Review by NurseJaney
Made for "Australia/NZ Swap #20" Was truly disappointed with the final result. All ingredients are top notch, but something was lacking. I reduced recipe to 4 servings, using 1 pound of beans, and possibly the reduction of other ingredients was not in proportion, but there was very little taste. Added S&P at the table, with little change. I expected this to be much fresher and brighter than the bean and mushroom soup casserole, but unable to determine how to "spice it up". So sorry, pollyw - I will try again if you have a suggestion.
- 3 lbs fresh green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaf
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread
- 4 tablespoons fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs mixed fresh mushrooms
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- pre-heat oven 375.
- bring large pot of water to boil, add a opinch of salt and the trimmed green beans.
- cook 5 minutes drain and set aside
- butter a baking dish large enough to hold the green beans with 1 tbls butter and set aside.
- tear the bread into 2 inch pieces and place in a large mixing bowl, add 1 tbls chives,1 tbls thyme, 1 tbls rosemary, 2 tbls parmesan cheese and 3 tbls olive oil.
- stir well and spread on baking sheet.
- bake just until bread starts to turn golden brown- remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter and olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and shalalots, season with salt and pepper and cook about 10 minutes.
- Pour in the heavy cream, add remaining thyme and chives and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add green beans and stir well.
- Put the green bean mixture into the prepared buttered baking dish, top with bread mixture and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake about 20-25 minutes.