Recipe by Polly W
I am a calamari lover !!! I begged Jeff for years to make this in his culinary classes but it took him 2 years to finally give it up. This is the best calamari you will ever eat and I am SO glad I can finally make it at home and impress friends and family. Thanks Jeff !!! When I cannot find calamari steaks, I buy a 10 oz box of Trader Joe's lightly breaded calamari rings and it is still awesome .. Enjoy !!!
Top Review by czhalls_12281417
This recipe was really great! I have never cooked calamari or made a beurre blanc sauce before but wanted to recreate a recipe from a local restaurant. I thought it would take several tries to get it right but this recipe was beyond expectations. My husband and I loved it! Next time I will try sauteing the calamari instead of deep frying as I don't really like to fry food. I will also try spicing up the calamari some (maybe some blackened seasoning). The sauce is perfect the way it is but, with this much butter, it is quite decadent. The tomatoes, green onions and capers are a great addition to the sauce and so good with the calamari. PS - I used frozen calamari rings (just rings - not breaded) from WalMart (seafood section - 1 lb. bag) and breaded them with Drakes Crispy FryMix (the only Drakes product in my grocery) which I used like flour.
- 1 lb calamari steak
- 2 cups drakes breading flour
- 4 tablespoons capers
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 -2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄8 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- canola oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beurre Blanc Sauce:.
- In medium saucepan add 1 Tbs olive oil on medium heat, add shallots, black peppercorns and bay leaves.
- Saute 2 minutes, addlemon juice, wine and cream.
- Let reduce by half.
- TURN HEAT DOWN TO LOWEST SETTING.
- Cut butter into squares. wisk into sauce 2 cubes at a time until all butter is gone. Please take your time with this step!
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Reserve sauce in cool area.
- Pre-pare calamari:.
- Cut Calamari into strips and coat with drakes breading flour.
- Set fry oil at 375- use deep fry pan or fry daddy with at least 3-4 inches of canola oil.
- Fry Calamri 3-4 minutes until golden.
- warm sauce- add capers,tomatoes and scallions.
- add fried calamari and toss together.
- Serve on large platter and enjoy !