Mary Fowler Polly W's Note:
I am a calamari lover !!! I begged Jeff for years to make this in his culinary classes but it took him 2 years to finally give it up. This is the best calamari you will ever eat and I am SO glad I can finally make it at home and impress friends and family. Thanks Jeff !!! When I cannot find calamari steaks, I buy a 10 oz box of Trader Joe's lightly breaded calamari rings and it is still awesome .. Enjoy !!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb calamari steak
- 2 cups drakes breading flour
- 4 tablespoons capers
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 -2 tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/8 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- canola oil (for frying)
- 1Beurre Blanc Sauce:.
- 2In medium saucepan add 1 Tbs olive oil on medium heat, add shallots, black peppercorns and bay leaves.
- 3Saute 2 minutes, addlemon juice, wine and cream.
- 4Let reduce by half.
- 5TURN HEAT DOWN TO LOWEST SETTING.
- 6Cut butter into squares. wisk into sauce 2 cubes at a time until all butter is gone. Please take your time with this step!
- 7Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Reserve sauce in cool area.
- 9Pre-pare calamari:.
- 10Cut Calamari into strips and coat with drakes breading flour.
- 11Set fry oil at 375- use deep fry pan or fry daddy with at least 3-4 inches of canola oil.
- 12Fry Calamri 3-4 minutes until golden.
- 13warm sauce- add capers,tomatoes and scallions.
- 14add fried calamari and toss together.
- 15Serve on large platter and enjoy !
Browse Our Top Squid Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Squid Recipes
Nutritional Facts for J. Baldwin's Calamari With Beurre Blanc Sauce:
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 552.3
- Calories from Fat 327
- Total Fat 36.3 g
- Saturated Fat 21.2 g
- Cholesterol 264.6 mg
- Sodium 213.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 17.2 g