Recipe by Izzy Knight
We were planning to serve pizza at our party but realized at the last minute that the our homemade pizza dough didn't turn out properly, so this was the plan B. It was such a pleasant surprise and was especially popular with the kids
- 10 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb chorizo sausage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chicken base (stock concentrate paste)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups rainbow rotini pasta, uncooked
- 2 (4 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms
- 2 (8 ounce) packages pepperoni
- 1 cup green olives, drained
- 1 cup black olives, drained
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 5 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian-style tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the chorizo in a lightly oiled kettle.
- Add minced garlic and the dried spices.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- When fragrant, add the veggies.
- In a separate pan, cook rotini according to package directions and set aside.
- When the veggies slightly caramelized (about 10 minutes) add the water (reserve maybe a cup for later).
- Cook for about 30-40 minutes.
- To the sausage mixture, add the mushrooms, pepperoni, green and black olives, tomato soup and tomatoes.
- If it appears too thick, add more water.
- Simmer for an additional 30 minutes, adding the cooked pasta at the end of the cooking time.
- You can serve with additional mozzarella on top and garlic bread on the side.