Recipe by Member #610488
A lot of this recipe can be made in advance and pulled together fairly quickly. This recipe is from a restaurant in San Francisco, California.
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package beech mushrooms
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 lb medium firm tofu or 1 lb firm tofu
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch or 4 tablespoons flour, as needed
- oil, as needed (for frying)
- sesame seeds (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the rice in a pot or rice cooker, per directions on the package. Remove from rice cooker and layer on flat baking sheet. Cover and allow to cool completely. Refrigerate until needed.
- Remove rice from refrigerator and scoop into large bowl. Set aside to return to room temperature. Keep covered.
- Mix together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and 1 tbsp sesame oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, fill with ice and water. Set aside. Drain the tofu.
- In a hot skillet, toast the sesame seeds and set aside. Start a large saucepan filled with heavily salted water to a rolling boil.
- Trim the bottoms of the mushrooms clusters and separate. Saute the mushrooms in 2 tbsp of sesame oil, salt to taste. Stir occasionally until mushrooms are well browned. Remove from heat.
- While mushrooms are sauteing, cut broccoli into bite sized pieces and blanch in the hot salted water. Shock broccoli in ice water. Gently wring to dry, then mix with 1 tsp sesame oil and salt to taste. Set aside.
- Cut the tofu into 4 large triangles or cubes as desired. Roll the tofu in the cornstarch or flour.
- Heat large pan and add oil for deep frying. When the oil is heated to at least 350 degrees F, carefully add 2 tofu pieces into the pan.
- Fry, stirring occasionally, until the tofu is golden on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Keep warm while frying the remaining tofu.
- Shake the dressing vigorously and mix about half into the rice. Add more to taste. The rice should be well-coated but not sopping wet. Fold in the toasted sesame seeds.
- Spoon out the avocados and cut into 1/2 inch chunks. Season with salt.
- Fold the diced avocados into the rice and transfer the rice into serving bowls. Top with broccoli rabe, beech mushrooms and deep fried tofu. Garnish with additional untoasted sesame seeds.