Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Ivy House Bed and Breakfast, Fortville, Indiana. Sugar cream pie is the "unofficial" Hoosier State pie. Contains no eggs, as intended.
Top Review by J. Michelle S.
A touch of nutmeg and there is nothing more addictive! It is not bland if you create the right salty crust and use nutmeg. That is how the original recipe read. Something was changed.
- 1 (9 inch) flaky pie crusts, baked and cooled (there are a few recipes already posted, #20984)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch, plus
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 pinch salt (big pinch)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- fresh whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, milk, butter, and salt.
- Place pan over medium heat and cook, stirring or whisking continuously for 5-7 minutes or until the mixture starts to boil.
- Lower heat slightly and continue to cook, rapidly whisking for about 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour the filling into the cooled pie shell, smooth the top.
- Place the pie on a wire rack; let cool completely, then refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.