Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Just an original make up. slow cooking, veg always to be placed on on top. the pot is a flat based or 3 legged variety and veg esp to be placed in tiers according to cooking time
- 1 (1 kg) pork leg
- 6 medium onions
- 6 medium potatoes
- 6 medium granny smith apples
- 10 button mushrooms (halved)
- 2 medium tomatoes, in slices
- 5 -6 cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups white wine (sweetish)
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 4 cups cooked rice, seperately (flavoured if desired)
- 1 liter stock (made up of 4 chicken cubes, 2 beef cubes and salt, pepper and 2 tsp of sugar according to taste)
- Grease the pot with olive oil/ or sunflower oil and preheat on the fire.
- brown all of the onions diced or sliced and braise leg of pork until light brown releasing some fat.
- take off heat and stir pot (once only).
- place vegetables in this order around leg.
- sliced tomatoes and a little stock.
- around leg and on top of tomatoes place the apples in quarters followed by the potatoes and then finally the mushrooms.
- pour the rest of stock and any other leftovers over the ingredients and then add the wine.
- the fluid should just about reach the top of the veggies maybe 1 inch or so below.
- the cinamon must be allowed to roam around freely and the cloves can be placed in any of the tiers or allowed to float on top.
- place on fire and leave for approx 2-3hrs-- No stirring and No burning.
- just keep the fire going checking if the potatoes are done every now and again with a sharp knife-- when potatoes are soft leave to simmer and when you are happy stir.
- serve over a bed of rice with your favourite garnishing-- your'e welcome and enjoy.
- If you get a piece of meat.
- FROM IVOR capetown.