Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
From A Taste of Africa. When I made this, I added more vegetables than the original recipe calls for - I found that carrots, red pepper and zucchini were good additions. I also added more of all of the seasonings and it was still nicely flavored and not too hot.
- 4 chicken pieces, rinsed and patted dry
- 6 -8 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- oil (original recipe calls for 1/2 cup, just use whatever you need to saute chicken and shrimp)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 ripe tomatoes, blanched, peeled and pureed (or canned, diced tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, mixed with 1/2 cup water
- 2 fresh red chilies, minced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 3⁄4 cup long grain white rice
- 4 -6 cups chicken stock (or half white wine and half chicken stock)
- romaine lettuce leaf
- bell pepper (or whatever veggies you like)
- Season the chicken and shrimp with garlic salt and paprika and let sit for 2-4 hours in the refrigerator.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and saute the chicken and shrimp. Remove the shrimp when they turn pink and the chicken is browned on all sides. Set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to the oil and saute till the onions start to brown, then stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste mixture, chiles, cinnamon, nutmeg and saffron (and other vegetables, if desired).
- *(I used a 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes with chopped jalapenos and added some crushed red peppers instead of fresh tomatoes and fresh chiles.).
- Simmer for 5 minutes on medium heat, then add the chicken, rice and 2 cups of chicken stock.
- Cover the skillet and simmer on low heat, stirring periodically to avoid sticking or burning.
- Add the remaining stock as necessary, till the rice is soft and the meat is cooked and moist. (The recipe doesn't suggest a time - I would check after about 15 minutes and leave it longer if necessary.).
- When cooked, transfer to individual bolws, and garnish each portion with parsley and a small amount of butter and the shrimp.
- Adjust seasonings to suit your family.
- Serve hot with a lettuce leaf covering each serving.