Recipe by Sharon123
I recently went on the 2010 Legendary Bluescruise to Curacao, Aruba and Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas. What a blues education I got! So feeling kind of whimsical and bluesy, I am dedicating this salad to the blues! I have halved the original recipe. Adapted from the Inn at Cedar Crossing in Door County, Wisconsin, via CDKithchens.
Top Review by mersaydees
Delicious! Even picky DH liked it a lot! This makes more than 2 servings however; I'm thinking it makes at least 4-6 servings. Thanks, Sharon123! Made in tribute of Sharon's DH.
- 3⁄4 cup chopped toasted walnuts (see note)
- 1⁄8 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup walnut oil
- 1⁄2 lb fresh spinach leaves, stems removed
- 1⁄8 lb crumbled blue cheese
- 1 cup toasted walnuts (see note)
- 1 1⁄2 granny smith apples, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare vinaigrette:.
- In large bowl, mix chopped walnuts with cider vinegar, apple cider, honey and mustard.
- In separate bowl, mix oils. While mixing, slowly drizzle oil into walnut mixture to emulsify. Before serving, warm over a very low heat, making sure not to boil.
- Makes 1 pint.
- To prepare salad, place spinach leaves in serving bowl and top with cheese and the toasted walnuts. Place apples around outside, drizzle with warm walnut vinaigrette and serve.
- Note: To toast, sprinkle nuts in ungreased heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently until nuts begin to brown, then stirring constantly until golden brown.