Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
It's cold outside (-5 degrees) and I wanted to use up some things so I put this together. This made a lot of soup. I'm just guessing on the number of servings. Since I'm just cooking for myself, I hope that I'm not eating it the rest of the winter...
- 1 (1 lb) bag16 dry mixed beans
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, leafy part included, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons chicken base
- 6 cups water (or more)
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1⁄4 lb ham, diced
- 1⁄2 lb Cajun-style sausage, sliced
- salt and pepper
- Soak dry beans overnight in water.
- Drain and rinse beans well.
- Add oil to a large pot.
- Cook onions, green pepper and celery until translucent.
- Add diced ham and sausage to the vegetables and cook until some of the fat has been released from the sausage.
- Skim off the fat from the mixture.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook over a low-medium heat for approximately 2 to 3 hours, adding additional water if necessary. Remove the "foam" that accumulates.
- Salt and pepper to taste.