Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've had this recipe for three years. If I remember right the person who gave it to me said it came from a newspaper article from Seattle Washington. I love this recipe. Just be careful not to make this when you're really tired. Worst cooking disaster was misreading 1/2 tea sugar for 1/2 cup. Talk about yuck! Cooking and prep time is just a guess. It's been a good year since I made this last.
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 2 cups finely diced potatoes
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups half-and-half, warmed
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- In a medium saucepan, drain the juice from the clams; set the clams aside.
- Combine clam juice with the onions, celery and potatoes.
- Add enough water to barely cover and simmer, covered, over medium heat until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add flour and stir in to the butter.
- Slowly whisk in the warm half-and-half.
- Cook and whisk until smooth and thick, about 5 minutes.
- If you want a thinner chowder, add 1/2 to 3/4 cup water or clam broth.
- Add the vegetables with their cooking liquid, clams, salt, pepper and sugar to the pan.
- Stir well and adjust the seasonings if necessary.
I've made this 4 times and am making it again tonight...just haven't found the time to review it. Living in the PNW, we love clam chowder, and this recipe is so simple and decadent at the same time. Only change we usually make is add MORE CLAMS, since my family can't get enough. Will keep forever.
This is the best!!! I made it exactly as written ...me and the fam. loved it. I read many, many recipes before settling on this one. Boy am I glad I did! I've made it many times since my first time. Thanks for a great recipe.
Born and raise in Seattle - worked @ Ivar's in Ballard, U-District & Northgate - in addition to working @ both Salmon House & Pier 54 fish bars - just made chowder (but added bacon) delish!