Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
A wonderful melt-in-your mouth square recipe with a meringue-like topping. My dear daughter-in-law's Mother gave me this special recipe. A good way to use up leftover egg whites too.
- 3⁄4 cup butter (room temp)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3 egg yolks (reserve whites)
- rose hip jam or seedless raspberry jam or strawberry jam or other favorite jam
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups ground walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- For the base:.
- Combine the butter, 2/3 cup sugar, flour and egg yolks.
- Pat the mixture into the bottom of a 9”x13”x2” pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes or until the edges are light brown.
- Cool base and spread with jam of your choice. Ivanka uses rose hip jam but seedless raspberry or strawberry jam works just as well.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with the 1 cup of sugar until slightly stiff.
- Add the 2 cups of ground walnuts and vanilla or rum extract. I use pure vanilla extract.
- Spread this mixture over jam layer and sprinkle the top with the 1 cup chopped walnuts.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly golden.
- For a softer topping, cover pan loosely after removing from oven to allow meringue to soften for easier cutting.
- Cut when cool, with sharp knife dipped in hot water between each cut.
This is ok but the meringue topping I think was over cooked as it just dried up. The cooking time must be off 35-40 is way to long maybe you met 3-5 min.The taste is still ok.