Prep 15 mins
Cook 41 mins
This is a recipe that was in Ladies' Home Journal. It was in an article called "Breakfast with the Stars". My mother has made this recipe many, many times. In the same article, her then husband Donald Trump submitted Donald Trump Elegant Eggs Benedict.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup oats, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (my mom uses almonds)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, sugar, oats, cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in large bowl.
- Stir in eggs, butter and vanilla until blended.
- Stir in nuts.
- Divide dough in in half. on a floured surface, roll each half into a 13-inch log, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Bake logs on a cookie sheet 25 minutes.
- Cool on rack 10 minutes (leave oven on).
- With a serrated knife, cut logs diagonally into 1/2 inch slices (some bits may come off, but don't worry--just keep going).
- Arrange cut side down on cookie sheet.
- Bake 6-8 minutes per side, until crisp.