Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tri-colored rotini with currants and green peas cooked in a spicy coconut broth. From "Crazy Plates: Low-Fat Food So Good, You'll Swear It's Bad for You!"
- 8 ounces tri-color spiral pasta, uncooked (about 3 cups dry)
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed or 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dried currant
- In a medium saucepan, combine broth, coconut milk, sugar and spices.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add rotini.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for six minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add peas, red pepper and currants.
- Simmer for 6 to 7 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed and pasta is tender.
- Remove from heat and let stand for five minutes before serving.
So easy and tasty! My family loved this and I loved how easy and quick it was to throw together. I used green peas. I didn't use the currants, but otherwise followed the recipe as stated. Thanks Jen! Made for veg*n swap 2. :)
Wow, very very different, very very nice!!! I thought I had tri-colour rotini and didn't, sigh, so I used plain rotini, and I omitted the currants.. not a currant lover. I used the frozen peas option. I would never have thought of cooking pasta in a 'milk' broth like this, with the spices used, but I have to tell you, it was magnificent, we absolutely loved it :D and I will definitely be making it again, it's all stuff that I generally have on hand so great for those evenings when you came home and just want something quick and easy! I think it works extremely well with the rotini, or fusilli, so I will be sure to always have a packet in the pantry. Thanks Jen, for another great recipe :D