Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From pampered chef's Kids in the Kitchen cookbook. Fun for Halloween (although we no longer celebrate Halloween). Cooking time includes cooling time. Prep time is an estimate.
- 1 (14 ounce) pumpkin quick bread mix
- 1 cup vanilla frosting
- yellow food coloring
- red food coloring
- red licorice strings or black licorice bootlace or purple string licorice
- 48 chocolate-covered raisins or 48 black jelly beans or 48 chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spray 24 mini-muffin cup pan and 8"-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, prepare mix according to package directions for bread.
- Fill each mini-muffin cup with batter. You will have remaining batter that you will spread into an 8"-inch round baking pan.
- Bake muffins 13-15 minutes and bread 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool muffins and bread 15 minutes each.
- Remove from pans and cool completely.
- Place bread on serving tray.
- Using a frosting decorator bag, fill with 1/3 cup frosting and squeeze out frosting to make a spider web design.
- Squeeze out frosting left in bag and add to remaining 2/3 C of frosting. Use food colors to color frosting. See tip on making orange.
- Refill decorator bag with frosting and swirl frosting over tops of muffins (in a circular pattern.).
- Cut licorice into 2-inch pieces.
- For each spider, press 8 licorice pieces into frosting for legs; add 2 raisins for eyes.
- Arrange spiders on serving tray around the web.
- Tip: To make orange food coloring, use about twice as many drops of yellow color as red and stir thoroughly.
I made these for church bake sale tomorrow and they are just too cute! I made my own recipe for cupcakes since I'm not fond of most mixes. I used black/brown m&m's instead of rasins. A def. make again!