Prep 10 mins
Cook 38 mins
A delightful little rice dish packed with herbs and veggies- the broth can be changed to suit your needs: beef broth for meat; vegetable broth for vegetarians, etc. Very versatile!
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 3⁄4 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan; add onion, carrots, celery, green pepper, and garlic, cooking until tender.
- Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in pan; add rice and cook, stirring constantly, until rice is light brown.
- Do not burn rice.
- Stir in chicken broth, water, frozen peas, cooked vegetables, parsley, thyme, Tabasco, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Fluff with fork before serving.
- Tip: if rice seems wet, place clean dishtowel firmly between lid and pan; let rest for 10-15 minutes while towel absorbs excess liquid.
Sue, this is so good, how do I thank you? This tasted like its come from the best hotel in the world. It was very flavourful and an extremely good comfort food. I did substitute the butter/margarine with cooking oil and the Tobasco sauce with Soy sauce as I didnt have that on hand. Otherwise, I stuck to the recipe. One thing that I wanted to point out was that after the veggies are cooked and kept aside, when the rice is added in, its not necessary to stir fry it for 7-8 minutes to obtain the light brown colour. The colour comes to the light brown shade within 2-3 minutes maximum. Keeping the rice without any liquid(stock/water) for 7-8 minutes would DEFINITELY result in burning the rice. This is otherwise a perfect recipe for a lunch party! Thanks, will make it the next time we have a party!
Excellent rice recipe! Love all the flavors and color. I added more veggies and had to skip the parsley because I was out. DH and I both loved it. I'm looking forward to making this as a side for kebabs. Thanks for sharing this keeper recipe.
I enjoyed this very much, thanks for a great dinner.