Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the easiest best tasting gumbo that you would swear came from a real roux. It is a fast delicious staple in my house weekly and can be multiplied easily for larger parties or used with seafood. Just don't tell anyone your secret ... shhh.
- Debone the chicken into bite size pieces.
- Slice the sausage into bite size pieces.
- I usually use 2/3 the chicken and ½ the sausage depending on how much meat you like in your gumbo.
- Brown the sausage.
- Cook the rice.
- Add the chicken stock, kitchen bouquet, pepper, water, gumbo base and chicken meat to the sausage.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, stir and simmer 20-25 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste.
- TIP: Can use brown or white rice. Recipe can be multiplied easily for larger parties. And freezes beautifully.
- TIP: Oak Grove products can be found at Walmart or other Grocers in the South or the following website link: Oak Grove Smokehouse Gumbo Base - Cajun Supermarket.