Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a recipe that I have been tinkering with for a while. Sometimes you want to make a dish that takes a better part of the day, but you can't always tend to it and that is where this technique comes in. I will often times smoke my 4lb shoulder or pork loin (when it's on sale) for about 3 hours, and do the final 3-4 hours in the oven. This recipe is for a 4lb cut of meat and I recommend about 75-80 minutes/lb for loin and 85-90 minutes/lb for shoulder. All measurements are approximate and will probably vary greatly.
- 4 lbs pork shoulder or 4 lbs boneless pork loin
- 1⁄2 cup yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (light or dark, whatever you prefer)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (again, either light or dark is fine)
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons celery salt (my preference is the celery seed) or 2 teaspoons celery seeds (my preference is the celery seed)
- Rub the meat (fat side up of course) with the mustard until the top is coated sufficiently.
- Drizzle the honey on in a zig-zag pattern (I like side-to-side as opposed to top-to-bottom).
- Sprinkle on the remaining ingredients in order, covering the top of the meat entirely with the spices.
- You can apply the rub the night before if you'd like, but it is not vital.
- Prepare smoker per manufacturer's instructions.
- When the smoker has reached 225-250F add the meat. Be sure to keep the smoker's temp around this level for best results.
- After approximately 3 hours turn your oven on to 225°F.
- Prepare a serving dish with a double layer of foil that will be large enough to complete wrap around the meat and seal tightly.
- When oven is up to temperature transfer the meat to the foil and wrap lightly.
- Place pan on center rack and cook remaining 3-4 hours.
- Allow the meat to settle for at least ten minutes before shredding with a fork. The pork should have an internal temperature of at least 195°F This will make for much easier shredding.
- I like to serve my pulled pork with with the sauce described in Recipe #204901.