1 hr 20 mins
While my husband was a student, he was bored one day and tuned into a cooking channel. They were demonstrating how to prepare a low fat version of the "Bloomin' Onion" served at Outback Steakhouse and Chilies. When I came home from work, he had this neat little appetizer all prepared. It was so tasty. The only draw back is (as you well know from eating onions) you don't want to jump up and kiss the cook!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Coating for Onion
Spicy Dipping Sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2To prepare onion (you are going to create an onion much like the appetizers served at many restaraunts) Slice bottom off onion, so it will stand flat.
- 3Going around onion, cut 20- 30 slits, starting your cut in the center of the onion.
- 4Don't cut all the way through, your slits should resemble petals from a flower.
- 5Set aside.
- 6Mix bread crumbs, garlic powder,paprika, and set aside.
- 7Mix together egg whites in a medium bowl and dip onion in to coat.
- 8On a small plate, coat onion dipped in egg white with bread crumb mixture.
- 9Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- 10Place on a cookie sheet coated lightly with cooking spray and bake 40-50 minutes until onion is tender.
- 11While onion is cooking, prepare spicy dipping sauce.
- 12Place cottage cheese, mayonaise,horse radish, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper in a blender.
- 13Blend until smooth.
- 14Dip onion petals into sauce and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for It's Good -But don't JUAKTC (Jump Up and Kiss the Cook)
Serving Size: 1 (98 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 106.1
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 1.9 mg
- Sodium 137.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 8.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: