Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I originally found this recipe in a Dutch language curry cookbook, but have changed it up somewhat. It tastes great, is quick and easy to prepare, is an entire meal, and not much to clean up afterwards. I would say the leftovers taste terrific cold the following day, but we rarely have anything to save!
- 2 1⁄2 cups potatoes, peeled diced and boiled till just done
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 -4 chopped chili peppers (or to your taste)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 cup green beans (canned or pre-cooked)
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- In a small bowl or coffee cup combine the turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, cardamom, ginger and chili powder.
- In a large frying pan, saute onion, pepper and garlic in the oil until the onion softens.
- Add the spice mix to the vegetable mixture in the frying pan and combine well.
- Add the ground beef, stirring well and often to incorporate the spice mix with the beef and brown thoroughly.
- Add the water and the tomato paste, again mixing well.
- Cook this at a low to medium simmer until most of the water has cooked off.
- Mix in the potatoes and the green beans, then the coconut milk (you may need to add a small amount of water to facilitate the mixing, but no more than 1/4 cup!).
- Simmer till everything is heated through, and serve.
We made this recipe as written, and found it to be a bit bland. I added a lot more cumin and curry, but it could have still used more. It was pretty good, but I will probably add more salt next time and more spices. Also we thought about trying it with cubes of beef instead of ground beef. On the plus side, it was very easy to make and would freeze very well, with a little tweaking might be a great time saver for a busy week. If we make it again I will update my review.
I made this on a hunting trip and it was very good. I had no green beans because I really don't like them so I did not miss them, the taste was great I will make it again.
I made this because I have never used mince in a curry before and I am so glad I did. This is always lovely and a few times I have made this with some frozen peas instead of beans which we find to be delicious also. Thankyou, FlemishMinx!