Recipe by Baby Kato
I hope you enjoy this treat, made for RSC #11, its easy, very tasty and looks pretty. It's a little time consuming but well worth the effort.
Top Review by LARavenscroft
Made for RSC #11 Hidden Gems. This was really good. I had trouble with the meringue, but I always do - still haven't figured it out yet. The crust was very good and easy to make gluten free. Thanks Baby Kato for a yummy pie!
Shortbread Pie Crusts
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar, white
- 2 tablespoons pecans, coarsley chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cold, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1⁄4 cup raspberry preserves, your favorite
- 3 large egg yolks, seperated
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk (can)
- 1 tablespoon blood orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup blood orange juice
- 3 large egg whites, seperated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, white
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together the flour, salt, sugar and pecans.
- Add the thinly sliced cold butter into the flour mixture and blend until it looks like coarse meal.
- Sprinkle the ice water over the mixture and using a fork stir until a dough ball forms. If you require a little more water -- use it.
- Wrap the dough ball in wax paper and chill for 1-2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the chilled dough out into a circle a bit larger than your pie pan.
- Carefully place dough into pie pan.
- Trim the dough about 1/4 inch above the rim of the pan.
- Please remember to prick the bottom of the crust all over with a fork and chill in the fridge for an additional 1/2 hour.
- Bake the crust in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10 - 15 minutes, then remove and allow to cool on rack.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Add your favorite raspberry preserves to the bottom of the cooled pecan crust.
- Mix the egg yolks, condensed milk, orange juice, and orange rind together, blending well.
- Pour the orange mixture into the prepared crust.
- In a large bowl beat the egg whites and the cream of tarter together until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar, a little at a time, beating well until the eggs are stiff but not dry.
- Spread the meringue on top of the orange filling making sure to seal the edges.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Watch your pie so that the meringue doesn't burn.
- Once the pie has cooled, chill for several hours and ENJOY!