1/1 Photo of Itchy Monkey's Marinara Sauce
1 hr 30 mins
Chef Itchy Monkey's Note:
A combination of several favorite recipes. I like to freeze this in 2-serving containers for quick weeknight dinners. Just remove from freezer and thaw over low heat in a sauce pan while your pasta water is boiling. You can also thaw chunks of frozen sauce along with frozen meatballs - try my "Meatballs Italiano" recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 118.29 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 roasted red peppers, pureed
- 4.92 ml sea salt, plus more to taste
- 2.46 ml freshly ground black pepper
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 14.79 ml dried basil
- 7.39 ml dried parsley
- 2 (1587.57 g) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 (340.19 g) can tomato paste
- 453.59 g can tomato sauce
- 118.29 ml red wine (a good Cabernet)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add the celery, carrots, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- 3While vegetables are simmering, strain whole tomatoes into a bowl (keep the juices), and coarsely chop the tomatoes. Set aside tomatoes and juices.
- 4Add the roasted red peppers (pureed), tomatoes, tomato paste, and dried herbs. Bring to just to a boil. Add red wine and bay leaves.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for at least 1 hour until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves and serve over the pasta of your choice.
- 6Can be made ahead and frozen into smaller serving sizes.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Itchy Monkey's Marinara Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.7
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 639.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted red peppers