Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A combination of several favorite recipes. I like to freeze this in 2-serving containers for quick weeknight dinners. Just remove from freezer and thaw over low heat in a sauce pan while your pasta water is boiling. You can also thaw chunks of frozen sauce along with frozen meatballs - try my "Meatballs Italiano" recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 roasted red peppers, pureed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 (28 ounce) canswhole peeled tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (a good Cabernet)
- 2 bay leaves
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the celery, carrots, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- While vegetables are simmering, strain whole tomatoes into a bowl (keep the juices), and coarsely chop the tomatoes. Set aside tomatoes and juices.
- Add the roasted red peppers (pureed), tomatoes, tomato paste, and dried herbs. Bring to just to a boil. Add red wine and bay leaves.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for at least 1 hour until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves and serve over the pasta of your choice.
- Can be made ahead and frozen into smaller serving sizes.