1/1 Photo of Itchy Monkey's Marinara Sauce
1 hr 30 mins
Chef Itchy Monkey's Note:
A combination of several favorite recipes. I like to freeze this in 2-serving containers for quick weeknight dinners. Just remove from freezer and thaw over low heat in a sauce pan while your pasta water is boiling. You can also thaw chunks of frozen sauce along with frozen meatballs - try my "Meatballs Italiano" recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 roasted red peppers, pureed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine (a good Cabernet)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add the celery, carrots, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- 3While vegetables are simmering, strain whole tomatoes into a bowl (keep the juices), and coarsely chop the tomatoes. Set aside tomatoes and juices.
- 4Add the roasted red peppers (pureed), tomatoes, tomato paste, and dried herbs. Bring to just to a boil. Add red wine and bay leaves.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for at least 1 hour until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves and serve over the pasta of your choice.
- 6Can be made ahead and frozen into smaller serving sizes.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Itchy Monkey's Marinara Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.7
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 639.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted red peppers