Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
Adapted slightly from the recipe on a package of Italpasta lasagna noodles. You can substitute 1 kg (2.2lbs.) frozen mixed vegetables; cook frozen vegetables according to package directions. If using frozen spinach, thaw spinach; squeeze out liquid and discard; chop spinach. Adjust seasonings to taste; for example, add basil, oregano, thyme or Italian seasoning to taste. I used the empty can of tomato paste to measure the water, and didn't boil the spinach with the other vegetables. You could add or substitute other favorite vegetables such as bell peppers or zucchini. Served with toasted garlic kaiser rolls and a green salad.
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 155.92 g can tomato paste
- 155.92 g water
- 4.92 ml sugar (optional)
- 453.59 g ricotta cheese or 453.59 g dry curd cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 head broccoli, finely chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 12 large mushrooms, finely chopped
- 450 g bag fresh spinach, chopped
- 453.59 g mozzarella cheese, grated (450g)
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
- Brown onion and garlic in olive oil in a sauce pan.
- Add salt and pepper, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and sugar if using; simmer 20 minutes.
- Blend Ricotta or dry cottage cheese with the slightly beaten eggs. Set aside.
- Finely chop broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and mushrooms. Boil vegetables with a pinch of salt for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain vegetables well; add chopped spinach; set aside.
- Spread a thin layer of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 x2 inch baking dish or lasagna pan.
- Layer 1/3 each of lasagna noodles, vegetables, sauce, Ricotta cheese mixture and Mozzarella cheese. Repeat 2 times.
- Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius) oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes before serving.