Recipe by kiwidutch
Top Review by Debra1113
This was a great lasagna! The texture of the zucchini was really good, better than another zucchini lasagna that I've made. To accomplish the folding over of the lasagna noodles (step 9), which I was really confused about when I read the recipe, this is what I did: I took 4 noodles, put them side-by-side along the longest sides of the pan. To get them to hang over the sides I started all 4 of them in the middle of the pan, so half of each noodle was hanging over the side, and got 4 more noodles on the other side, starting in the middle. So there were 8 noodles on the first layer, not overlapping, but hanging half over the sides. Then for the second layer I put 3 lasanga noodles side-by-side going the opposite way of the other noodles, like a normal lasagna, along the longest length of the pan. Then for the top I folded over the hanging noodles. It really worked great. I think this is a great method, because I found there were less crusty edges doing it this way! :) My only concern that I will change next time will be to increase the spices. The sauce seemed bland to me, and was quite thick too. With some minor adjustments I will make again! Thanks for the great recipe!
- 1 lb lasagna noodle, cooked
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 4 large zucchini
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushroom
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup red wine (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions or until tender but still firm.
- Drain, keep warm.
- Meanwhile, to make lasagna sauce, saute ground beef, garlic and onion is a large heavy skillet or cast iron frying pan until beef is done.
- Add sauce, mushrooms, oregano, thyme, basil, wine or 1/4 cup water, touch of pepper and mix well.
- Simmer 45-50 minutes .
- To prepare Zucchini for this recipe, cut in half or cook whole in a large covered pot with 1-2 inches of water.
- Boil gently for about 5 minutes, drain and cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices.
- Grease a 9" x 13" or larger, baking pan.
- Arrange a first layer of noodles so the ends hang over both sides of the pan.
- These will be folded back-over the top on the final layer.
- Next, add a layer of the cooked zucchini, a layer of lasagna sauce, a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- For the top layer, fold the ends of the pasta from the first layer over the top and add more sauce.
- Top with parmesan cheese and cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes , uncover and bake until brown, approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve this Italian food with french bread and have additional parmesan cheese at the table.