Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is adapted from old Farm Journal Cookbook recipe & you have to figure the farmer's wives know what to do with a bumper zucchini crop!
- 2 lbs zucchini
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes or 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- Remove ends from zucchini& cut in half lengthwise.
- Cut each half in thirds crosswise.
- Place cut side down in hot oil in a large skillet.
- Add onion& cook until zucchini is lightly browned.
- Sprinkle zucchini with salt& spices and top with tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer for 15 mnutes.
- Uncover and simmer 20 minutes oruntil squash is tender and a fairly thick sauce is formed.
Yum! We all enjoyed this, even our young kids. The herbs and tomatoes were a great addition to the zucchini. The cooking time was perfect and resulted in a tender yet not over-cooked squash that made this a real Mediterranean treat. I'll definitely make this often. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Judy from Hawaii. Made for the Chef Alphabet Soup tag game.
I thought this was very fresh tasting and flavorful. I love fresh zucchini and this was the perfect way to fix it. I used minced garlic instead of garlic salt and extra virgin olive oil, but otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. Thank you for such an enjoyable side dish!
This is very similar to my recipe for zucchini & tomatoes so I was very happy with your recipe. The only sub I make is to use garlic cloves. Thank you for posting!