Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This is a family favorite. Makes a good quick dinner.
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, cut into coins
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup green pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups ziti pasta
- In a 4 quart saucepan, brown sausage, remove and drain.
- Melt butter and cook mushrooms, peppers and onion until tender, but not brown. Blend flour into vegetable mix; gradually stir in mil. Cook stirring constantly over medium low heat until mixture boils. Boil and stir one minute.
- Blend in 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese and pepper until cheeses are melted and mix is smooth.
- Cook Ziti and drain.
- Stir hot cooked ziti and sausage into vegetable cheese mixture. Pour into a butter 2 quart casserole. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
This was just OK for us. I followed the recipe as written other then I used a full pound of sausage as 1/2 pound didn't seem like enough meat. After cooking, a pound didn't even seem like enough. We thought the sauce was very plain and needed a lot more seasoning. There is nothing wrong with this recipe, it was just not to my families liking.
Way better than the usual tomato-sauced based baked ziti. I reduced some fat by cutting the butter in half and using 1% milk and it was still creamy and delicious. I used red and green bell peppers just for some fun color. I can see why this is a family favorite. We love it too. Thanx!