Recipe by dicentra
My friend, Pmags shared this with me. He says "Uber-simple traditional southern Italian 'cookie'. Kinda of a scone. Eat alone or with coffee. Very popular in my home state. (Rhode Island) Here's one recipe. Some people put anise or a touch of black pepper"
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup red table wine
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil (NOT olive oil!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry.
- Knead until smooth.
- Cut off piece of dough about the size of a pencil and roll between palms.
- Knot the dough like making a pretzel.
- Brush top of biscuits with milk or egg yolk.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes.