Recipe by Sharon123
This is some lasagna! Rich, with Gouda, Cheddar, cream cheese, and Mozzarella, you won't be disappointed! Posted in response to a request for a good Italian lasagna! You may leave out the meat for vegetarian!
Top Review by Sixfoot
This is an awesome meal! I'm picky about my pasta, but this is just absolutely great. The unique cheese sauce just absolutely made this great! I used heavy cream instead of light cream, because it was all I had on hand. The gouda cheese I had was in slices, so I cut the slices into smaller sections before I tossed them into the sauce. I wasn't able to find "cream-style" cottage cheese, so I just used small curd. Also, not quite sure which size "carton" would be recommended, so I used 1/2 of the one I had. Also, the mozzarella slices I put on top of the dish made it more difficult to cut through come dinner time. I think next time I"ll use shredded mozzarella. I needed to cover mine with foil towards the end, also, for fear it'd burn. Really and truly, this is an awesome meal! Thanks for sharing it! :)
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
- 1 lb ground beef (optional)
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- 1 1⁄2 cups gouda cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- 1 (16 ounce) carton cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 12 slices mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brown beef (if using), celery, onion and garlic in a 1 tbls. oil; drain.
- Stir in seasonings.
- Add cream cheese and cream.
- Cook over low heat until smooth.
- Add wine, shredded Cheddar and Gouda (or cheese of your choice).
- Stir together egg and cottage cheese, set aside.
- Layer cooked noodles, part of meat (or just vegetable) mixture, cottage cheese, half Mozzarella.
- Repeat until all is used; top with Mozzarella.
- Bake on top rack for 40 minutes. Enjoy!