1/2 Photos of Italian White Bean Soup With Greens (Sbd)
Just made this for lunch on my third day of the south beach diet. It is really wonderful--of course, I did triple the garlic and add more red pepper flakes, but this does not taste like diet food! Enjoy! Use vegetable broth to make this vegetarian/vegan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 680.38 g swiss chard (I used kale) or 680.38 g escarole (I used kale) or 680.38 g beet leaves, trimmed (I used kale)
- 1419.54 ml chicken broth (I used half of each) or 1419.54 ml vegetable broth (I used half of each)
- 1-5 garlic clove (I'm sure I used at least 5!)
- 236.59 ml cooked white beans (I used northern beans, cannellini or other white beans would work too) or 236.59 ml canned white beans (I used northern beans, cannellini or other white beans would work too)
- kosher salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (to finish)
- red pepper flakes (for garnish)
- 1Bring large pot of water to a boil.
- 2Boil greens for about 5 minutes, just till tender, and then plunge into water to stop cooking.
- 3Squeeze out as much water as possible and set aside (you can do this step before you make the rest of the soup.).
- 4Bring broth to simmer in large pot over med-high heat.
- 5Add garlic and greens, and beans (if using canned, rinse and drain to rid the excess sodium!) Simmer gently for about ten minutes, partially covered.
- 6Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 7Ladle soup into bowls.
- 8Pass cheese and pepper flakes at table.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian White Bean Soup With Greens (Sbd)
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 111.8
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1007.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 10.0 g