Alan Leonetti's Note:
This is a super delicious soup. There are many different recipes for this soup that vary a little from each other, but I feel that this is the best one. Try to use Parmesanno-Reggiano Cheese, as it's truly the "King of all Cheeses".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Meatballs
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley (chopped)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic (from jar)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 slice fresh white bread (no crust, torn into small pieces)
- 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese (grated)
- 1/4 lb ground beef
- 1/4 lb ground pork
- black pepper (freshly ground)
For the Soup
- 1To make Meatballs:.
- 2Stir ingredients together in a bowl and blend.
- 3Using 1/2 teaspoon for each, shape the meatball mixture into little tiny meatballs.
- 4Place the meatballs onto a large plate or baking sheet and set aside.
- 5To make the Soup:.
- 6In a large pot, bring the broth to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 7Add the meatballs and spinach and simmer until the meatballs are cooked, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- 8Add in the rice or barley.
- 9In a medium size bowl, whisk the egg and cheese to blend.
- 10Stir the soup in a circular motion as you gradually drizzle the egg and cheese mixture into the moving broth, stirring gently with a fork to form thin strands of egg, for about 1 minute.
- 11Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into individual bowls and garnish with Parmesanno-Reggiano cheese if desired.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Wedding Soup (Zuppa Maritata)
Serving Size: 1 (382 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 409.2
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 156.2 mg
- Sodium 1672.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 28.6 g