Recipe by Alan Leonetti
This is a super delicious soup. There are many different recipes for this soup that vary a little from each other, but I feel that this is the best one. Try to use Parmesanno-Reggiano Cheese, as it's truly the "King of all Cheeses".
For the Meatballs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley (chopped)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced garlic (from jar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 slice fresh white bread (no crust, torn into small pieces)
- 1⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese (grated)
- 1⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 lb ground pork
- black pepper (freshly ground)
For the Soup
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups spinach (chopped)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cooked rice or 2 cups barley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parmigiano-reggiano cheese (freshly grated, plus extra for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Meatballs:.
- Stir ingredients together in a bowl and blend.
- Using 1/2 teaspoon for each, shape the meatball mixture into little tiny meatballs.
- Place the meatballs onto a large plate or baking sheet and set aside.
- To make the Soup:.
- In a large pot, bring the broth to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the meatballs and spinach and simmer until the meatballs are cooked, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add in the rice or barley.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk the egg and cheese to blend.
- Stir the soup in a circular motion as you gradually drizzle the egg and cheese mixture into the moving broth, stirring gently with a fork to form thin strands of egg, for about 1 minute.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into individual bowls and garnish with Parmesanno-Reggiano cheese if desired.